Tuesday, October 31, 2006

My candy is gone already...

All 120 pieces...by 7:30. (Well that's 120 minus the five or six or so pieces I helped myself to early this month.) Trick or treating in my hood happens early. The little rugrats are out knocking on doors by 5:30 every year, and this year was no different. The good thing about this is that they're also done early, it's not even eight right now, and I've already given out all of my candy and shut my light off...much to the delight of Max dog. I can't complain though, being done early means fewer interruptions when I sit down to watch House in a few minutos.
I remember Halloween differently when I was trick or treatin' all those years ago. I remember going out early, but I'm pretty sure that it was after ten when we finally came back in. I also remember always having a joke ready to tell the nice candy giving adults.
You know how many kids had a joke for me this year? Amazingly enough, one child did. I gave him five or six pieces of candy as a reward. Why don't more kids realize that this is a smart way to operate? Adults love corny jokes, and when they're told be a pre-teen in facepaint they're just that much better.
Tonight's trick o' treat crowd consisted of almost sixty little ghouls, pirates and brides...plus one hooker (you wish I was joking). Every single kid that came to the door wanted to pet the Maxie (who I might add, thought he had died and gone to doggie heaven due to this). And out of all of the kids who came to the door only one was an infant who was represented by an almost teenaged mother...in costume, who insisted that she was "collecting candy for the baby". Yeah, I buy that, your kid doesn't even have teeth yet...no candy for you.
I'm a big weenie when it comes to saying no to the older kids though, I usually just go ahead and give them candy. I figure that's safer, as obviously, since they're knocking on my door asking for sugar they know where I live. I'd rather not wake up to eggs on my garage door tomorrow morning.
Hope everyone had a happy Halloween!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My theory is cute kids - many pieces of candy. Older kids - one lousy piece.

My sister actually taught my 3-year-old nephew knock knock jokes to tell this year. He thought he was the funniest, but very cute!

Happy Halloween.
PS We stayed out to at least 9pm.