Saturday, October 07, 2006

I was misinformed

Whomever told me that the Kansas City 1/2 marathon course was flat was a damn liar. That was without a doubt one of the hilliest courses I've ever run in my life. I knew I was in for a long run when less than two miles in there was a hill that was over a half mile long and seemed to go straight up. You know you're in trouble when over half of the people running around you are walking at the two mile marker.
I had an okay race, even though it was really cold when we started out. I couldn't feel my toes for the first mile, then I hit the monster hill, and just when I found my groove with my legs, the stomach started acting up. I'm not sure if it was the blue Powerade, the smell of Gates BBQ, or a combination of all factors, but I seriously felt like I was going to hurl for the last eleven miles of my race.
I managed to pull just over a 9:00/mile pace, and my "unofficial time" per the Kansas City Marathon webpage was 2 hours and 29 seconds. I'm pretty sure that my official time will be a little faster when the chip times are posted.
Other than the nausea and the hills, the race was a good one. I really enjoyed the bands that were stationed throughout the race course, and the crowds were great. There were also a lot of really nice people running. People were very social at this race, which is a nice change for a lot of the races that I've run. I think that if I'd been more pyschologically prepared for the hills, then I would have had a little bit more of an edge than I had. I think it really was detrimental not to be familiar with any of the course, which is a good lesson to learn before running Chicago.

3 comments:

MNFirefly said...

Nice job. I am looking forward to reading the offical time for the race.

Iron Jayhawk said...

Right on...I feel partly at fault for not warning you about said hills. Downtown KC can be brutal.

Regardless...way to go hun!!! :)

Anonymous said...

Way to kick butt!