Sunday, October 08, 2006

A nice recovery run

This morning we slept in a little...I didn't get up until almost 7:30am. We had talked a lot yesterday about where we were going to try to find a trail or path to run on. We had it narrowed down to Blue Springs Lake, or Longview Lake, both of which are just outside of Kansas City. Per the recommedation of my husband's cousin, we headed out to Longview Lake, which was only about twenty or thirty minutes from his grandma's house.
The weather was nice, but slightly chilly, and there was a nice breeze coming off of the water as I ran. I enjoyed the scenery, as the path winds along the shore of the lake and then through a wooded area. I'm not really sure how long the entire path is, or if it goes around the entire lake, as I was only doing about six miles this morning.
I was scheduled to run four miles, but since I had planned on doing two extra miles yesterday and hadn't done them because of my gastrointestinal issues, I made them up today. Overall, it was a really nice run. It took me about 52 minutes to finish the six miles.
There were a few people out this morning, including what appeared to be a local runner's club. They were setting up to get started on their run as I finished mine. They are actually so organized that someone thinks far enough in advance to bring Powerade, water, and disposable cups so that they can set up their own little "aid" stations every couple of miles. It wasn't warm enough out that I needed to take advantage of these, but I still thought it was pretty cool.
My only complaint with this morning's run was that the pavement on the trail was cracked and broken up. Also, the arch of my right foot is slightly sore from a slip on the step going from my garage to my kitchen Friday. This happened as we were getting ready to leave for KC on Friday afternoon. I was of course, barefoot, and my foot just slipped right off the step. I thought that I had skinned my arch, but there were no obvious injuries...although today it's a little sore.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great dedication.
Can't wait to see you in Chicago.

Iron Jayhawk said...

Ouch!! Take care of that arch, lady. I'm glad that you were able to find a nice trail in KC. I haven't been out to Longview yet, but next time I'm in town I'll hopefully make it out there.

Nice run though, speedy!