Tuesday, October 17, 2006

So, yesterday's work drama...

Yesterday I had to "let someone go". I have a girl in my office who's sole job was to socialize with patients, clean up after me, and retrieve supplies (weights/hot packs/whatever)...in general she's supposed to help faciliate smooth function of the office. Yeah, for the past three months her attitude has sucked. There's been quite a bit of eye rolling, heavy sighing, and just general unwillingness to do her damn job. I've been very patient, as I know there's some stuff going on in her personal life; but quite frankly I've had enough. So with the boss' blessing, I got rid of her.
Technically, I dropped her from part time status to PRN, but what I didn't tell her is that I also hired someone else to work the hours that she had been working. I'd never let someone go before, so it was an entirely new, stress inducing, anxiety filled experience. I handled it professionally, I think. When I explained the decision to her, I framed it as a "financial" decision...it just didn't make sense to keep her on part time when the census is low. Apparently she then called several other clinic directors and informed them that I was a "stupid bitch" and that she would now be working only for them...at which point they told her that they didn't need her either. Such fun.
On a good note though, I did come home to find my "Run Around the Town" medal in my mailbox. Fleet Feet does a program every year where you get a third medal if you complete an event at both the Spirit of St. Louis and Lewis & Clark Marathons. I'll try to post pictures of the new medal tonight if I can figure out how to work the digital camera. It's pretty cool.

3 comments:

Arcane said...

It's tough to let people go., even if they are acting as as?holes. It's never an easy process.

MNFirefly said...

WOW! That's a hard thing to do. But at the same thing, she suck BIG FOOT where the sun don't shine and bit the dust. :)

jellypepper said...

oooh, that's some drama. hope the new help is way better.

anyways, thanks for dropping by my blog the other day. you're totally in luck: chicago has the store where i bought that rewearable bridesmaid dress (it's anthropologie ... 1120 North State Street
Chicago).. and available online too. good luck on sunday!