Tuesday, October 24, 2006

So now what?

I'll admit, I'm kind of at a loss as to what to do with myself now. I have absolutely no idea what to do with the extra time that I've now found since I'm not running again yet. It's kind of anti-climatic to train so hard for so many weeks and then to just be all of the sudden done with it.
I've not yet picked my next race, and honestly, I don't feel like I'm ready to commit to anything just yet. I'm not sure if I'll keep running marathons or if I'll drop back to shorter distances. I love distance running, but mentally this race took a lot out of me. More so than any other race has ever done. I feel like I'm much more successful at shorter distances, but the marathon and I...we've got some unfinished business still.
I'm a very goal orientated individual and I love competing. I think I need to revisit my roots and relearn how to run just for the sheer sake of running and the joy of doing something athletic. I need to forget the competition with others and learn how to compete with myself.
I also need to learn to hold my head up high when people ask how my Chicago race was....4:11 is nothing to sneeze at. And I'm an idiot for not being proud of myself for this time.
I'm planning on starting back into my regular, non-training running next week, which should help shake the cobwebs out of my brain. I'm going to try some easy stationary cycling (just to get the blood moving again) this afternoon. So we'll see how things work out over the next few weeks.

3 comments:

MNFirefly said...

Yes, you did awesome. Take your time choosing an event. Running should be fun for awhile - not aways training.

Anonymous said...

4:11 is an awesome time! So you definitely should be proud.
Enjoy your rest.

Sonia said...

I just found your blog... Congrats on your 4:11 marathon!! That's truly a great time!! Was that your first?

When I was reading your post, I was like is she reading my mind or what! You just verbalized what I've been thinking since I finished my first marathon. I am also unsure about what to do next... ok enough ramblings!!

Take care of those legs =)