Friday, November 24, 2006

Thanksgiving recap

Yesterday went by way too quickly. I started the morning out with a 5k race. I did not set a new PR, but that's okay. I only missed my 5k time from last week by 35 seconds, and the course was hell'a hillier. It was a beautiful morning. The sky's were clear and the sun was shining brightly. The temperatures were in the upper forties to lower fifties by race time, and the crowd was well behaved. There was no pushing and shoving like there often is in our local races.
I finished in 24:33, which placed me at 7th in my age bracket. There were 101 women in my age bracket for those of you who might be interested. I had fun, despite the almost full blown asthma attack at the half way point, which I kept running through. I do not walk, unless I'm dying. As those of you who have gotten to know me know: perseverance is my greatest attribute, but it is also my Achilles heel. I just don't know when to quit.
Anyway, the almost full blown asthma attack was the first breathing difficulty I've had in about a year and a half...the last was triggered by fine granular dust from hanging a drop ceiling in my basement without a mask on. Smart, I know. What can I say? I managed to get myself under control without too much difficulty, but it was still kind of scary.
The rest of the day was spent relaxing, going to see a movie, and at the family dinner. Let's tackle the family dinner first. It wasn't too bad. Most people know that my family doesn't really get along that well. We are the ultimate in dysfunction, what with a manipulative matriarch, a verbally abusive sibling, his mail order bride, and parents who believe in "biting your tongue for the sake of keeping the peace". And this is just my side of the family. Surprisingly, everyone was on their best behaviour yesterday and we escaped at the end of the meal unscathed, for once.
We went to see a somewhat lousy movie yesterday as well. We saw Borat. It blew. Even though this movie got stellar reviews in People and the newspaper and people were raving about it, I wouldn't recommend it. In fact, this is one of the few movies that I think might have been better had I been completely intoxicated while viewing it. Now granted, there were a few parts that I thought were hysterical, but there were so many more scenes that made me cringe and kind of sink down into my seat with sheer embarrassment that we'd paid to see this garbage.
At the end of the day though, we thought we'd had a nice time overall. It was only spoiled by having to go back to work today.

3 comments:

L*I*S*A said...

Great job on the race, and now I know that I will wait to see Borat on DVD.

MNFirefly said...

Kristi, were was your inhaler? I had the same problems too on Thursday, but I made sure that I prep before I race especially in this cold crap. Nice time too. I am sorry that you missed your PR.

MNFirefly said...
This comment has been removed by the author.