Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Sometimes I can be such a nice person...

Today when I got home from work I went out for a short run. I did three easy miles through the neighborhood to the park and back. On my way out, just before my turnaround point, I passed an older guy in an electric wheelchair. I wasn't really sure what he was doing, as he wasn't sitting in the chair, he was instead standing and holding onto it. After I turned around I was headed back towards him, and noticed that it looked like his dog's leash was all tangled in the undercarriage of his chair. So, being in a relatively good mood and feeling particularly generous and benevolent, I stopped and asked him if he needed some help. Of course he did...
It took me a good ten minutes of working at the tangle to get the dog unknotted, and of course the fella was talking the whole time. Bless his heart, he thought I was 24 years old. Little does he know that this made my day. I think the poor guy was lonely, as during those ten minutes he told me not only his name, but where he lives, how much money his wife makes, why he doesn't like living where he does, his ethnic background and that he was retired from the GM plant across the highway...I left the situation feeling pretty damn good about myself though for stopping to help a stranger.
Plus, my run rocked. The weather was perfect, not much of a breeze, not too cold, and no sun. I averaged and 8:08 pace, and my last mile was actually under an 8:00 mile.
On a slightly different note, please welcome my college roommate to blogland...Angie's blog is going to track her training as she and her husband prepare for next fall's Ironman Wisconsin. Go say hello....you know you want to!

2 comments:

MNFirefly said...

That's an aweosome thing you did.

Arcane said...

Bonus karma points for you! Nice.