Tuesday, November 14, 2006

So much to do...

so little time. I've been plenty busy with work and short runs lately, so much so that I've been a less than stellar blogger. I've not been able to keep up with reading all my online buddies entries, and I don't feel like I've posted on my own blog in a long time.
Despite this, I'm going to try adding one more thing into the mix. I learned a little bit about Girls on the Run at the last race I did. I really like the idea of the program, which is to teach girls how to be physically fit, while encouraging them to "think outside the box" with regard to gender stereotypes and roles. The end result is that I think the program is a great idea, and I'd like to get involved with it in some capacity. I'm not sure yet that I've got the time to commit to two practices a week, but I know that there are other roles available such as Running Buddies for the races.
I'm in the process of trying to complete/start my application to volunteer with the group. It's a hella tough application, asking all sorts of deep questions like "what is your coaching style" and "how do you maintain balance in your life". Well, maybe the last one is a bad example, because of course...I just run for balance.
I'm obviously going to have to spend some serious time on this questionnaire...perhaps I'll do that at the talk I'm attending tonight. One of the doctors that we've been trying to market pretty heavily is speaking tonight on acupuncture. He's a nice, down to earth guy and the talk should be interesting, as he's done a lot of research and sees quite a few difficult, chronic pain patients...but I'll take my volunteer application along, just in case.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Accupuncture ROCKS! I HIGHLY recommend it. I really does help.

Sonia said...

I've read about this program in this month's Runner's World, I think it's a great idea! Good luck on your application, I wish I would have had access to smth like that when I was a kid! =)