Wednesday, April 18, 2007

The work saga continues

I'm sure you're all tired of reading about my work woes, I know I'm sure tired of writing about them. But what can I say, I sometimes feel better after airing all of my concerns...so bear with me. Today I was supposed to have a meeting at 4:30. Instead, my boss decided that I needed to head to a different office to help with patient care, as they've been really busy there lately. Fine, no problem.
Then they decide that in order to alleviate some of the scheduling concerns at this other office, I will now be working my two short days in this office. So now, starting next week I'm supposed to be working Monday, Wednesday, and Friday long days at my office, and Tuesday and Thursday afternoons I'll be working my short days at this other office.
I'm not opposed to this, as I am getting a tad bit tired of feeling like I'm getting paid to do virtually nothing, but I'm a little peeved that this company basically assumes that I have no life outside of my job. One of the immediate casualties of the schedule change is going to be my participation in Girls on the Run. Obviously I can't continue to coach this group if I'm supposed to be at work. My other concern is that I have a lot of shadowing/surgery observation/chamber of commerce meetings/other assorted crap that takes place only in the morning on Tuesday and Thursday, so I am going to be putting in what seems to be a lot of extra hours. We'll see how well that works for me.
The biggest concern that I have is that this move is not going to be temporary. I told my boss that I don't have a problem being flexible now, but that once I come back from maternity leave, I'm not going to have that luxury. Since my husband has school two or three nights every week I'm going to have to have some cooperation on the part of my employer with getting out of the office by 5:30 if I'm at this other office or by 5:45 if I'm at my office on nights dear hubby has school so that I can pick the baby up. Supposadly they're "going to cross that bridge when we get there" and "it shouldn't be a problem". We'll just see. Oh well, I guess if it doesn't work out I can always find a new job.

1 comment:

MNFirefly said...

I hope that things get better. Keep following up with it. Continue venting if you need to.