Monday, December 25, 2006

We now return you to our regularly scheduled programming

Christmas is over...finally. I cannot possibly begin to describe how glad I am to have this holiday over with. My husband's family spent the weekend with us, which actually went better than I had expected it to go. I sometimes hook horns with my father in law, as he subscribes to the school of thought that women should be seen and not heard and I, of course am extremely outspoken. I managed to bite my tongue though, and he was actually on pretty good behavior so it went okay.
The only dull spot in the weekend was my husband's mother (his parents are divorced). The background is that she has been somewhat wrapped up in the drama which is my sister-in-law's life as of late. So much so that she never asks how we are, but immediately jumps into the latest update on his sister's story. I'll spare the gory details, but it would not be remiss to say that we choose not to be around his sister because of the bad decisions she routinely makes.
So anyway, fast forward to this weekend. We had two options open for her to see us. She knew that Saturday early afternoon or today afternoon were the two options. She waited until late Saturday afternoon to call us and see "what we were up to" and then chose not to call today until almost seven...and then it was to tell us that "she was sick, but we could still come over".
Uhmmm, thanks but no thanks.
It's kind of lame that she was so focused on his sister and her kids that she couldn't make any time for us at all this holiday, but I guess that this is one of those things that we should just get used to.
Anyway, at least it's over with, so on to the next holiday. Have I mentioned that I love New Year's Eve?

6 comments:

MNFirefly said...

Wow! I feel your pain. It's SO good to get it over with.

Arcane said...

Well at least you only have to deal with it once a year. Hopefully your foot will get better.

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas late and I too am glad it is over. Hope you have a great New years

L*I*S*A said...

Ah yes, the holidays....

Sonia said...

On the other hand, I love Christmas! =) But I don't have to deal with in-laws yet...!!

I hope the New Year's is better!! =)

SRR said...

THANK GOD my in laws do not have to stay with me! How do you manage?