Saturday, December 23, 2006

Uh oh

Small catastrophe, or maybe it's a large one. Today I was scheduled for thirteen miles. Want to guess how many I made?
Try three. Then my right foot started screaming at me. I'm a pretty tough cookie. I usually have to be bleeding, puking or otherwise almost dying not to finish a run. I just could not finish though.
I've been having foot pain on and off ever since Chicago, but figured that I'd be okay, as I usually am able to run through it. Long story short, my foot has been hurting along the medial (inside) aspect, right near my navicular (that sharp pointy bone on the inside of your foot. I figured I had either sprained my spring ligament or developed a little posterior tibialis tendonitis. It hurt like hell when I curled my toes, and let's not even talk about curling my toes and plantarflexing (pointing my ankle down).
This morning I started out with medial foot pain and about a mile in started having lateral foot pain and anterior calf pain...no bueno (to quote Little Miss Runner Pants.)
I couldn't figure out a way to push through this...which is probably a good thing, so I cut my run short, will take tomorrow and Monday off and hopefully be able to sweet talk my orthopod into squeezing me in on Tuesday. Let's keep our fingers crossed that this is nothing serious.

3 comments:

Sonia said...

Hey Kristi,

Don't beat yourself up over the lost mileage, better to give your foot some rest and not run on it. You still have lots of time before the marathon! Hope that heals fast!

Merry Christmas!

MNFirefly said...

Kristi, you are not alone. Read today's blog on my crappy last long run. :(

I will bring the whine if you bring the cheese.

L*I*S*A said...

At least you didn't continue to run on that foot. I hope the orthopod can come up with a definitive diagnosis and therapy.