Tuesday, December 05, 2006

It's decided

I've decided that I'm going to train for the St. Louis marathon. Even though I've run St. Louis twice already, I can't pass up the home court advantage, nor can I pass up the chance to train on the actual course. Plus, it's a financial decision at this point as well. I'd like to take a nice vacation at some point this year, and unfortunately Nashville, Louisville, and Cincy don't really fit my definition of nice too well.
Training starts the week of the tenth...Holy Crap, that's next week. I'm going to use the Pfitz plan, which is kind of scary, as it's singificantly more mileage than I'm used to running during training. I'm going to have to fine tune/adjust the schedule a bit though, as there is no freakin' way I'm running eight or more miles on the dreadmill during the week.
I like to get my training runs done before I go to work, and since I work from seven to six three days each week, I'd pretty much have to get up at four every morning to get some of those midweek longer runs done. I've got Tuesday and Thursday afternoons open right now, so I'll probably try to shift the schedule so that my longer runs fall on Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday.
I'm a little concerned that tweaking the schedule is going to make me more prone to injury, but I guess that's one of those things that only time will tell.

6 comments:

MNFirefly said...

Nice decision. Good luck with the training. Plus thank you for the Christmas card too. :D

Sonia said...

Good luck on the Pfitz plan =) I'm sure you can handle the high mileage! You're a strong woman!

I understand the $$ issue... thinking about running Detroit for that same reason!

Rocky hasn't starting chewing ornaments but he is freaking out at the stuffed singing animal.... he literally wants to kill them! hahaha dogs are so funny =) I hope Max is still behaving!

LeahC said...

I think it's a great idea to use the Pfitz plan as you mentioned on my blog lots of people improve dramatically after using it. I would suggest trying to get through the mileages that the plan sets before changing around the plan. I know it would be hard to do the long midweek runs on a treadmill, but can you go outside and get them done. I noticed that the people that had by far the most success with the plan were those that followed it to a T. Ok, I already see where the commment is going....ala too long :-) send me e-mail at jasonleahrun@gmail.com and I can give you more tips and ideas and tricks to get through those tougher weeks!

Arcane said...

good luck with the training. Those midweek long runs can be tough trying to fit them in, but they do go a long way to improving your running.

Anonymous said...

Good luck - I'm sure you'll do great.

Colleen said...

I'm planning on doing the STL race as my first marathon! I have done a couple of halfs, but wanted to try the whole marathon this time. I'm from St. Louis and agree, you can't beat the commute of a race in your hometown!