Saturday, September 02, 2006

Here's the elevation graph from this morning's run:


Today's long run was the first time I'd run the St. Charles course in about three weeks. It was tough getting back into it. I did have a couple of new toys to play with today...I finally broke out the running skirt that I bought a month ago, and my hubby bought me a new GPS system for our anniversary (and gave it to me three weeks early).
Let's talk about the GPS first, as this is the coolest toy I've ever had. He bought me a Garmin 205 to replace my old Timex Speed/Distance system that's been less than dependable as of late. I was majorly impressed on my run as the Garmin did not drop the satellite signal even once (usually Timex dropped it at least four times...usually at the worst possible times). I was able to set it to record my pace at each lap, so I'll finally be able to post accurate split times. I loved that I could monitor my total time running, distance, pace, as well as the real world time all at the same time. The best thing about the new GPS though was that I could bring my data home and upload it into the computer so that I could analyze my times, calories burnt, and elevation changes!!! It was cool to be able to overlay the elevation map with my pace graph and see exactly why my pace was slower on some miles.
As to the running skirt, it was pretty cool too. I wasn't liking it too much for the first mile or so, as I like to wear my fuel belt slung low around my hips so that it doesn't interfere with my armswing. What I noticed after running a short distance with the fuel belt low on my hips was that the skirt was riding up in the back...thereby exposing my lovely white spandex clad upper thighs and ass to the entire world. I finally figured out the happy medium between fuel belt placement and appropriate skirt ass coverage and was able to run the rest of my run in relative peace. Despite the small snafu with the fuel belt, I really liked the running skirt.
So, overall the run was good. I had a tough time with the last three miles, as I was pretty much exhausted. I also had to detour off my normal route to a cobblestone street for the last mile since the annual Missouri Shriners convention was in town and they were having a parade down the street I usually run down. (Those little old men in the noisy, tiny cars doing donuts on the street used to freak me out as a child...and they still kind of do). I don't really care for running on cobblestone, especially when I'm tired, as I tend to have a hard time staying on my feet. I only almost fell once though, so that was pretty good.

3 comments:

MNFirefly said...

Awesome run!!! The elevation changes were making DIZZZY!

SRR said...

I actually like the running skirts...the shorter though the better, in my opinion. :-)

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you had fun with your new toys.