Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Wind sprints blow

I hate wind sprints, with a passion. They truly are my least favorite type of speedwork. I just get so damn tired when I do them. Of course, that only tells me that I really need to do them all of the time instead of only once every four or six weeks.
I had a devil of a time getting my speedwork in today. We got a lot of rain here last week. So much so, that I guess alot of junior varsity football games got rained out last weekend. So the local high schools all seemed to be making them up today. I went to...count 'em, three local high schools before I finally found an empty track that I could run on. Color me clueless, as I had no idea that high school JV squads would do "make up" games if one of the regularly scheduled games got cancelled.
I was starting to take the difficulty with finding a track to run on as a sign that I shouldn't do speedwork tonight, when I finally found one without a football game in the middle of it. Now granted, they were playing football at that particular high school, but apparently they don't let the underclassmen play on the "big" field, so I was set.
I got about halfway through my workout and some local yokel in a golf cart (I'm assuming he was the Athletic Director) came around and told me that I couldn't be there using the track right then. Apparently they have a rule about public use of the track during school hours. My response was that it was 5:00pm, which is technically after school hours, no one was using the track, and I was almost done. After much sweet talking on my part, he finally told me to "hurry it up" and not to ruin anything.
Damnit...that was next on my list. I was going to go do donuts in my SUV in the middle of the football field just as soon as I finished my windsprints. Jackass...
Needless to say, after the difficulty I had finding a track, I was peeved, so I wasn't running well. Plus, did I mention that I hate windsprints...cause I do, so I didn't meet any of my time goals tonight. I ran 13 x 200m and jogged the second half of each lap to catch my breath. I wanted to run each 200m in under 49 seconds, but had to settle for anywhere from 52 to 60 seconds. Better luck next time.

1 comment:

MNFirefly said...

WTF?! I would contact the school yourself to check the rules. Someone's got it all screwed up.