Thursday, September 14, 2006

Uh, yeah...I wore out my treadmill

I normally don't run on the treadmill that much. I'd say that since I started training for this marathon, I only run on the treadmill two days per week. I used to do all of my running pretty much exclusively on the treadmill, with the exception of my long runs. Since I did an actual sponsored speedwork course this summer though, I've kind of gotten into the habit of running outside a little more often, and now that it's getting cooler I'm really enjoying the running outside.
Anyway, long story short...I ran on the treadmill Monday before work (5 miles) and I noticed then that the belt was slid over a little farther to the left than it normally is. I didn't have any trouble with it though, so I didn't think anything of it. I ran outside Tuesday, so I didn't use the treadmill again until Wednesday's pre-work run. On Wednesday the belt slipped a whole lot farther to the left, so much so that the friction from the belt rubbing against the motor cover actually cut a gash into the motor cover on that side. I noticed at about the 3 mile mark on Wednesday that it was making a lot of noise and I started worrying about things coming loose and my poor defenseless body flying off the back of the treadmill. So I rested my hands of the rail for the last mile(which I don't recommend) just in case, and made a mental note to tell Dear Husband to look at it.
Dear Husband looked at it, made the appropriate repair and then tested it out. Within thirty seconds of the treadmill running at a 1.5mph pace, the belt was once again slid to the left and cutting into the motor cover. So, we decided that it was hopeless and that we were going to have to invest in a new treadmill. I was bummed. We've logged some good miles together, me and that treadmill have. But there comes a point at which you just have to know to stop beating a dead horse/throwing good money after bad/etc...and since we've pretty much replaced every moving part (and some that don't move) on this treadmill, it was time to through in the towel. By my calculations, I've logged pretty close to 4,000 miles on this treadmill in the four years that we've owned it.
So we bit the bullet and bought a new True treadmill. My husband knows someone who knows someone who works at True, and this friend of a friend got us a fantastic deal. We're getting a top of the line machine for less than 1/2 the manufacturer's suggested retail price. Supposedly it's a discontinued model that the company is trying to clear inventory on. It's supposed to be ready for pickup tomorrow around noon, so now I just have to figure out who to get to haul away the old treadmill and how to break the news to the old girl that she's being replaced with a younger, hipper model.

3 comments:

MNFirefly said...

Cool! That's an awesome deal you got. It's hard to part with old faithful, but when it's time - it's time.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the new purchase!

MNFirefly said...

Good luck tommorow!!