Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Snakes...on a track

I went to the track today for a speed session by myself. I was cruising along doing just fine, warming up, when all of the sudden...out of nowhere...snakes (the no legged variety, not the two legged variety). Those of you who know me, know that I get along just fine with most of the creatures on this planet...but the one species I absolutely cannot stand is snakes. I firmly believe that the only good snake is a dead snake, and even then they creep me out. So close your eyes, no wait leave them open, you'll want to read this, and imagine if you will: Me in my running skirt. Cruising along at a speed 8:30/mile. About two laps into my eight warmup laps. Minding my own business. Enjoying the nice, breezy, sunny early fall day, when I happen to glance down and see a snake...that I'm about to put my left shoe squarely on top of.
Now imagine me ten seconds further down the track, still freaked out from snake run-in #1, notice another snake two lanes over. Now picture the entire varsity defensive line from the local high school doubled over convulsing with laughter as I freak out (read jump around and wave my arms in the air, with much high pitched screaming) about not one, but two snakes, just laying there sunning themselves, on my running track. One I would have been skeeved out by and had nightmares about, but two?!?! Now we're talking Snakes on a Plane type infestation.
So now that we've established that I'm terrified of snakes, lets talk about the size of these bad boys. Oh yeah, the big bad snakes that had me so terrified were tiny. Yep, they were all of twelve inches long at best, and no bigger around than my pinkie finger...but they were still SNAKES. And I really, really don't like snakes.
Other than that the run was good. I finished my three miles of speedwork and my two miles of warm up in a little over fifty minutes and that includes the rest breaks between each set of repeats. I met my time goals for the first four repeats (I think because of the snake induced adrenaline rush) and then almost met my goals for the last three repeats. I was within ten seconds of my goal time, so that's close enough in my world.

2 comments:

MNFirefly said...

I would thanking the snake for giving you a reason to MOVE. But I would be screaming instead.

Iron Jayhawk said...

I'm with you on the snake thing...NO THANKS!! Eep. I'm getting all squeamish just thinking about it.

Great job on the speedwork though. And 10 seconds? Ain't no thang.