Saturday, September 09, 2006

Twelve miles, no nausea

That's a good thing. Last week's long run kind of had me a little freaked out. That was the first time I'd ever been really sick after a long run in several years, and oh how sick I was. I was really interested in seeing how this week went after that. This week has been a rest week of sorts. Although my long run was only twelve miles today, I have had several medium length runs the rest of the week, including a five mile race tomorrow.
I started out at the same course I ran last week. I really was trying to mimic last weeks conditions to see if it was something I did last week or just the luck of the draw. (Of course, there wasn't a Shriner's parade today though...instead, it's Civil War reenactment weekend.) Instead of turning around at the five mile mark like I normally do though, I went ahead and ran through the neighborhood that I ran through a few weeks back so that I knew once I turned around I was on my way back. Totally a mental thing, but it seemed to really help.
I was pretty pleased with today's run, even though my legs felt heavy and tired at the start. I almost tripped over a in the sidewalk and went flying if that tells you anything.
I managed to maintain a fairly consistent pace throughout the entire run. My total run time was 1 hour 50 minutes. Since I actually went 12.07 miles, I'm pretty confident that I can run a good half marathon and 2 hours next weekend. I'm figure I made my time goal this week and that was with hills. The half marathon next weekend will only have one big hill and that's right at the beginning and really it's not so much a big hill as it is a long gradual incline. I figure it helps that I'm familiar with the course. It'll also help that they filled every entry slot for the race next weekend, as that will be the kickoff of Dean Karnazes' Endurance 50 Challenge. I'm pretty psyched to run a race with him. Apparently he runs a 10:00/mile pace, so we should be running somewhere around each other!
My splits for today were pretty decent, I felt. See for yourself:
Mile 1: 9:08
Mile 2: 9:23
Mile 3: 9:21
Mile 4: 9:23
Mile 5: 9:02
Mile 6: 9:46
Mile 7: 9:11
Mile 8: 9:39
Mile 9: 9:17
Mile 10: 8:28
Mile 11: 8:47
Mile 12: 9:11
That's a negative split folks! For, I think, the first time ever. 56:04 for the run out, and 54:33 for the run in!

2 comments:

MNFirefly said...

Awesome negative splits!!

Anonymous said...

Nice job! Good luck next weekend. And, I was also excited about Endurance man - and he only runs about a 10 minute/mile - I'm psyched