Tuesday, September 19, 2006

No, no, no...they've got it all wrong

The first day of fall is Thursday...not today. It is seriously cold here today. I know, I'm never happy with the weather here, first it's too hot, now it's too cold. There was about a two or three week window here where the weather was perfect, but this is St. Louis, perfect weather is always shortlived here. So anyway, back to my original train of though, this morning's temperature at 5:30 (when I woke up) courtesy of the cool little indoor/outdoor project the temperature and time onto the ceiling next to the bed gadget, was only 48 degrees. It was still under 60 degrees when I started work at 7:00 this morning, and when I headed out to the track for my run at 5:00pm it was only 62 degrees.
Now, lest you get the wrong idea, I do like cooler weather, but I really am not ready to break out my cool weather running gear. I love my running skirt and singlets. I'm not ready to tuck them away yet. I wanted to wear my running skirt in Chicago )-: but it looks like I'll be wearing tights instead.
It was actually cold enough during my run today, that I thought about leaving the long sleeved shirt that I wore to the track on for the whole workout, but as the shirt in question was cotton, logic and a desire to not have chaffing in my pits won out.
Tonight I did the same speed workout that I did two weeks ago (400m x 600m x 800m x 1200m x 800m x 600m x 400m). Since I did what I felt was a sucky job on this workout two weeks ago, I thought it would behoove me (that's from the Word-A-Day Calendar) to repeat the workout and see if I could do a better job. I was much more pleased with my times today. I met my goal times for six of the seven repetitions and I only missed the seventh goal by ten seconds. If I had actually looked at my goal times before getting started I probably would have achieved that last repetition goal time, but oh well.
My total time for the five miles tonight (the workout plus two warm up miles) was just under 40 minutes, which is a full two minutes faster than the five mile race that I ran two weeks ago. It's very encouraging to still see progress.

2 comments:

MNFirefly said...

It's very cold up here too. I need more cold weather stuff. I have the pants, but no long sleeve shirts.

Anonymous said...

Its freezing in Chicago - not literally of course. I hope it stays a little warmer.