Friday, March 30, 2007

Where'd you get your driver's license?

Funny story. Last night, I went to a Girls Night Out at a local business with one of my friends. It was really more of a business opening, but we wanted to check out what kind of stuff they had, so we decided to drop in...plus there was free food, which if you haven't learned by now, is a powerful motivator in my world. Anyway, I digress. My friend insisted on driving us to this event. Now, I usually drive when I go anywhere with this friend, because she is not the world's best driver...in fact she's an awful driver. I've ridden with said friend only one other time, and that time she nearly got us killed by running a stop sign that she claimed she "forgot" was there.
Why I let her drive last night I'm still trying to figure out. Everything was fine going to the business, but on the way home, she took a "different" route than the one we used to go there. This route was not unfamiliar to her, as she's lived in this area for almost four years, and drives the streets of this small town almost every day; and in her defense, they are doing major construction on the overpass to the highway, but still.
She was talking and not really paying attention when we got to the stop light at the overpass in question. The light turned red, which she noticed, and she did stop at it (thank goodness) but she pulled up so close to the intersection that you could not see the light, at all. In order to see the light, you had to lean way forward and cran your neck upward through the very top of the windshield. So not good.
We sat there for a minute and she kept telling me she couldn't see the light, but she was going to just go when the oncoming traffic went, surely her light was green as well. So yeah, she totally blew through that red light.
I'm pretty sure I'll never ride with her again. That's two trips and two blatant traffic violations...maybe they should retest her for her driver's license.

1 comment:

MNFirefly said...

YIKES!! Not a good passenger moment. Double up on the seatbelt and airbags.