Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Running in the rain

Today it was pouring down rain during the first half of our Girls on the Run meeting, then fortunately it lightened up a little bit so we were able to take the kids outside to do the actually running portion of the workout. Most of the kids were already able to complete a 5k, although we do have a few who prefer to walk instead of running (which is fine) that never have quite enough time to finish the distance that they're shooting for. Hopefully by the time May 5th (race day) rolls around, they'll be able to get the distance done. Most of the kids are able to run the distance in 30 to 40 minutes already!
I'd forgotten how much I like running in the rain. There's just something soothing and very rewarding about coming home soaked to the skin from a run. I seemed to be a bit less winded when running this week as well. I can totally tell a difference between running outside and running on my treadmill, and to tell the truth, I really miss running outside. I'll be so glad next fall when I'm able to get back outside on a more regular basis. I've been afraid to run outside while pregnant, as I'm quite possibly the least graceful person on the face of the earth...I'm afraid I'll repeat the tripping over a crack in the sidewalk thing that I do every couple of months and end up falling. So for now at least, I just feel safer on the treadmill. My poor lungs feel out of shape though...

4 comments:

Malnurtured Snay said...

I'm not a huge fan of running in the rain, although I do enjoy heading out and doing some singing on occasion ...

MNFirefly said...

I am glad that you were able to get the girls outside and running. I am glad that you are still running even though it's on the treadmill. You are still doing great!!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you have a great group of girls.

Stephanie said...

I am vaguely shamed by the fact that these kids can polish off a 5 k in 30 - 40 minutes.... But I have a credit card! So there.

It may suck to be stuck on your treadmill, but it sounds like you're keeping in shape! Good for you! I hope you crack your nausea streak soon.