Saturday, January 27, 2007

Anybody miss me?

I've been a lazy, lazy blogger lately. I find that my daily life isn't really blog worthy when I'm not running...somehow I feel unfulfilled to blog about things other than long runs, LT paces, and race times...
But today I have a story. I've talked in the past about getting involved with the local chapter of Girls on the Run. I went to a coaches' training session today. Let me just tell you, if you've ever thought about volunteering with this group, you should totally do it. Today's session was about forty coaches/assistant coaches from the St. Louis area. The local chapter brought Molly Barker, (hi Molly-apparently she's read my blog before, I feel so special)the founder of the program, in to talk to us. She is an amazing human being, and this program is one of the most fantastic programs I've ever been involved in.
I'll get off my soap box in a minute, but if you've ever been a young girl, especially one who suffered from self esteem issues or caved to peer pressure, this is your chance to make a difference in a young girl's life. Seriously, check the program out. I cannot say enough good stuff about them. I can't wait to see how I can make a difference for a girl who might be just like I was then.
Even if you can't commit two days a week to practice, think about volunteering to be a race buddy (a one hour comittment). This is going to be a rewarding experience for a lot of people, and not just the girls you're helping.
Okay, on to the other stuff. I've been running a little lately. I've been feeling okay, but I'm definitely out for the spring season races. I'm taking it slow. I'm doing about three miles five or six times a week, and I've dropped back down to nine minute miles. Who am I trying to kid by saying that I liked those eight minute miles? The only good thing about those was getting my run done faster. I'm going to try to step back and try to remember how to run for fun. I'm done for a little time with the worrying about my personal records and getting faster. Let's just have fun again. How awesome will that be?
My rant for this week is Subway...the sandwich shop. I really think there should be a rule that you can't order more than one sandwich per person between the hours of noon and one in the afternoon. No kidding, I stood in line for thirty minutes yesterday waiting for my sandwich...the jokester in front of me had an order for his whole damn office. Patience is not one of my virtues. It was all I could do to keep from pimp slappin' his ass. 'Nuff said.

3 comments:

MNFirefly said...

WHAT?! Didn't the guy know that you can CALL AHEAD and fax your order. GEEZ! How rude! Nice to see you back again!

Arcane said...

I've been waiting to hear news about the monkey. Good for you for volunteering.

Anonymous said...

I missed you! I'm glad you are doing okay.
I've talked to girls on the run before as well but just didn't work out with my schedule but I think it is awesome that you are working with them. Have fun and enjoy running.