Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Training update

Last night was a speedwork at one of the local high schools. The high temperature definitely kept most of the participants away, and even the hard core people slowed down a awful lot. The heat index was 103 when the workout started, it was warm enough that the coordinator felt the need to rattle off the symptoms of heat stroke and heat exhaustion. Very encouraging.
We did 1000 meter repeats last night. Five repetitions in all. The idea was to work at 85% of VO2 max, and also try to get just a hair faster with every repeat. It's that getting a hair faster thing that always kicks my butt. I finished to workout, but felt a tad queasy afterwards, and still felt kind of crummy this morning when I first woke up.
So, before I could talk myself out of it, I decided to head down to the treadmill and see how many of my four miles that I could get in before my stomach decided to stop cooperating. I made it about halfway, then had to rest for a couple of minutes. I was able to hammer out the last two, but I really struggled with it.
I'm glad that the rest of the week is cross training and rest until my long run on Saturday. I need it already.
Today sucked all around, what with the stomach issues when running, and a just generally slow day at work. I get so nervous when the clinic isn't really busy. I use the time to go market to physicians, but there is only so much of that you can do. After awhile, I feel like they get tired of me coming around asking for referrals. It's frustrating, because even though the numbers have been up slightly over the past few weeks, the income is still low (damn insurance companies) and my office is not turning a profit right now. We'd have to have an absolutely stellar second half to even break even this year.
The only consulation right now is that there will always be jobs available in the market, should this one suddenly disappear...but I really hope that it doesn't disappear. I kind of like working close to home, and I like this company overall. Keep your fingers crossed that things start to go better soon.

1 comment:

MNFirefly said...

Hang in there. Everything will be okay. I can not imagine how hard it must be, but do the best that you can do. Plus running is the best therapy - and cheapest.