Saturday, July 15, 2006

67 degrees is a lot hotter when the humidity is 86%

Today was my regularly scheduled long run. I set my alarm for five o'clock in order to get out and beat the heat. When the alarm went off, I proceeded to hit the reset button and did not actually manage to drag my butt out of bed until five thirty. At five thirty the temperature was only 67 degrees, but much to my dismay...the humidity was 86%. It was actually so humid this morning that the outsides of the windows of my house were all fogged over. That's pretty bad.
I contemplated running my eight miles on the treadmill, but then realized that my fuel belt bottles were already filled and waiting for me in the fridge. So, I felt like I had to run outside. Stupid logic, I know. So I got ready to go, loaded my various paraphernalia into the car (remembering to take a towel this time) and headed out.
I started out on the road at about twenty after six, and it was miserable for the first 3/4 of a mile. The close proximity of the river, seemed to almost intensify the humidity. Once I got away from the river it got a smidge cooler, and I even thought about going an extra two miles. (My usual long run course is an out and back course and I feel like such a slacker if I turn around before I hit the actual turnaround point). Fortunately logic beat out pride and I turned around at the four mile mark.
Turned out to be a good idea, as I got really tired at about the six mile mark and would have probably been in big trouble if I had four miles in front of me instead of two. I finished the eight miles in 76 minutes, which works out to a 9:30ish pace. Not too bad for the course in question. Especially considering that this pace is a full thirty to forty five seconds faster than what I was running on the same course last season.
The rest of the day was consumed with running errands, including picking up my race information for tomorrow's race, cleaning house, and taking a much deserved nap. I spent the better part of the day scrubbing my kitchen floor, which sucked big time. It was well overdue though, and I'm quite proud of how nice and shiny my floor is now.

1 comment:

MNFirefly said...

Awesome run. Great pace despite the humidity.