Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Big home improvement project is almost done

So we've been talking about ripping the linoleum out of our bathrooms and installing ceramic tile for a really long time now. We finally went and picked out some tile that we liked, and last week husband of mine started the project. I'll admit, I wasn't thrilled with his choice of when to complete this project, but now that it's almost done, and it really looks nice, I'm pretty glad that he decided to do it now. It turned out to be a bit more expensive than we had planned, and a whole lot more time consuming than we had originally thought that it would be, but it looks nice at least. All that is left to do on it is finish cleaning the tile, reinstall the trim, rehang the door, and reseat the toilet. (Yep, you have to pull all that crap up in order to lay a tile floor. Who'd have thought that.) Hopefully we can get most of this done tonight which will just leave minor stuff, like cleaning that bathroom to do later this week or next weekend.
I'm going to be so glad to have this baby and be off of work for awhile. I've got one patient who is really pissing me off lately. I had a student until about two weeks ago, and she was providing most of this guy's care. (He's an older man who is very set in his ways and probably is suffering from the onset of some mild dementia.) He was also one of the patients that I had to move last week due to my grandma's funeral. (which he never even acknowledged). Apparently he was very confused as to what time he was supposed to show up last Tuesday for this rescheduled appointment and when he showed up at the wrong time we very politely corrected him and asked him to come back at the correct time (normally I'll see people whenever they show up, but I was on my way out of the office to an appointment which couldn't be rescheduled. So he was pissed about that. Then Friday of last week, he came in and was complaining about how I "gave him poor quality of care" on Tuesday, even though I did the exact same treatment with him that we've always done and he said that he felt great leaving the clinic. So I asked him what specifically he felt was lacking and how I could have made the treatment better in his mind. His only response was that I was "too busy" (He was one of two patients in the clinic during his hour long treatment session.) Obviously I was just way too busy.
So anyway, long story short, yesterday he called before his appointment and wanted to know if he should come in, as there had been a problem with his appointment time last week and he wanted to discuss how I was going to treat him before the session so that we would be on the same page. Apparently, I have a major attitude problem because I won't massage his feet (totally not indicated for his condition).
The sad part is that he doesn't even remember what he complained about last week nor does he remember being rude and telling me that I was a terrible therapist last week. Although every other patient who was in the clinic when he went off on his tirade last Friday made it a point to tell me yesterday how rude they thought he had been and how well I had handled him. So now he's writing a letter complaining about me to my employer (I'm not too worried about this, as I already explained the situation to my employer and this particular patient has a history of writing nasty letters about his therapists in the past).
I'm to the point now where if he calls to schedule additional appointments I'm going to refuse to see him anymore. I really think that we've exhausted our relationship and I'm not willing to work with someone who refuses to be civil. Besides, why would I open myself up to a potential problem situation by seeing someone who obviously has it out for me? That kind of seems like a lawsuit looking for a place to happen.
It just sucks that people have to be mean.

1 comment:

MNFirefly said...

VERY well understandable, Kristi! Sounds like he needs to understand that it's not acceptable to be rude to someone who will be helping him.