Thursday, June 07, 2007

Wouldn't you think I'd have learned my lesson the first time?

I went to the lab this morning. Routine blood work, actually a gestational diabetes test, which are standard in the early third trimester. I was supposed to drink this small bottle of orange stuff that kind of tasted like sno cone syrup. This was supposed to be the worst part of the whole experience, as I don't like orange anything and it was early morning.
My story starts off at slightly after seven this morning, when I figured the lab would be almost empty...not so much. There must have been twenty people waiting to have work done. So thirty minutes after my arrival, they finally call my name. I go into the treatment room, and hand the girl my paperwork only to hear her say "oh good, just a simple glucose fast blood draw." She starts getting her blood draw stuff ready, at which point I decide it's in my best interest to ask some questions, such as "don't I have to drink the sugar syrup first?"
She proceeds to tell me that I'd already drank it, which I was pretty sure that I hadn't done, so we spent a few minutes discussing why I hadn't drank the syrup yet (uhm, how 'bout cause they didn't give it to me at the doctor's office and I can't buy it at the store?) After several minutes of discussion they figured out that the nurse at my doctor's office hadn't checked the right box on the lab requisition.
Sound familiar anyone? The same thing happened when I had my quad screen ten weeks ago.
So, long story short, I called the exchange, because of course the doctor's office was still closed, forty five long minutes later, they called me back. I drank the goo, which was pretty gross, and then had to sit in the waiting room for another hour while my body processed the sugar solution. Hopefully I passed so that I don't have to take the three hour test later this month. How much would that suck?

2 comments:

MNFirefly said...

Actually the orange stuff tastes like Orange Crush without the carbination. I preferred the Cola or Lemon flavor myself. I had to do the 3-hour test - NO BUENO!!

Anonymous said...

Wow! You are almost there - that is awesome. I hope you passed.