Thursday, May 17, 2007

That pretty much sucks

Yesterday I got a letter at work stating that the VA had been using my employer identifier number (which is also my SSN) and my birthdate in connection with Medicare services to do some type of research regarding how veteran's seek healthcare. Wouldn't you know it, the doofus supervising the project used an external harddrive to back up his or her work and then proceeded to lose the harddrive. So...they're not sure, but they felt obligated to tell me that they'd misplaced enough information about me to potentially allow someone else to steal my identity and potentially ruin my credit. Happy Wednesday to me.
So last night we had to run off a copy of my current credit report, which looks fine. Then this morning I spent about twenty mintues on the phone trying to place a fraud alert on my accounts. Fun stuff. Once I figured out exactly who I was supposed to call, it was pretty easy, but it took me at least fifteen of those twenty minutes to figure out who to call.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I got the same letter. Fun stuff, huh?!?! Luckily I don't use my SS#, but still it's scary. It could ruin my corporation credit. I need to check my report today. Really makes you mad, doesn't it!!

MNFirefly said...

OMG! That sucks! Just call all of the main credit report companies: Experian, TRW, and TRU - that should be good enough.

Anonymous said...

That sucks. Hope it all works out all okay for you.

Stephanie said...

I do not understand. How does one lose a hard drive from work? If I so much as "accidentally" (ahem) take a pen home from work, people seem to know.

That does stink - I hope everything turns out ok!