Sunday, May 06, 2007

Busy weekend

Yesterday was the Girls on the Run 5k at Tower Grove Park in South St. Louis. It was a great race. The girl I ran with was actually able to run the whole way...she's one of our kids who's never run much before and we'd not seen any glimmers of this running ability in any of our practice sessions. I was really surprised and pleased by her performance. She was pretty cute, the kids know that I'm expecting, and my belly is starting to be the first thing you notice about me when I walk into a room, so she kept asking me if I was doing okay or if I needed to slow down...we averaged just over a ten minute per mile pace, which is still well within my comfort zone.
All in all, we had sixteen of our twenty four girls run/walk the race and every single one of them was able to finish it!
Yesterday evening we went to see The Invisible. This looked like a great movie in the previews, but actually was pretty disappointing in reality. This is the movie where the kid gets jumped on his way home from a party and his assailants think they've killed him, so they hide the body...but he's not really dead. The whole movie is about him being stuck in this "in between place" and trying to convince people to go find him before he actually does die. It didn't have any big name actors or actresses in it, which was fine by me, but it wasn't nearly as well scripted as it potentially could have been. In summary, wait for the DVD, it wasn't worth the price of admission.
Today we just worked around the house, did the grocery shopping, slept in, and went to the library. Have I mentioned lately how much I love the library? I put in a reserve/request for a book I read a review of in Runner's World or the Running Times (I can't remember which one). It's a semi-factual account of a kid who was on his way back from a track meet when a bus accident took the lives of all of his teammates and coaches. Sounds pretty interesting.
On the work front, things are starting to pick up a bit...knock on wood. Tomorrow looks decent, as does every other day this coming week except for Friday, but that's a long way away still...
I have a student intern who's first day will be tomorrow. Let's hope she's good. This will be her first internship ever, as in, she's never touched or spoken to a patient ever...hopefully she'll learn the ropes quickly and we'll have a good six weeks together.

2 comments:

MNFirefly said...

Sounds like a great weekend.

Good luck with the intern!

Arcane said...

Wow, 10 minute miles?!